Organic right from the start – From breeding to the end product.
What is organic breeding?
Using methods and techniques that are compatible with the principles of organic farming, organic breeding develops varieties that meet the needs of organic farming.
Breeding takes place with respect for the integrity of the plant – there is no intervention below the cell level (genetic engineering). All the work steps, from the first to the last, take place on organic farms.
bioverita is committed to increasing the awareness of organic farming and organically bred varieties.
- in organic farming, organic vegetable and fruit production
- amongst processors of organic products
- amongst distributors of organic products
- amongst consumers of organic products
What is bioverita?
- a platform with the most important organic breeders in Europe
- a platform for varieties from organic cereal, vegetable and fruit breeding
- a platform for organic product processors and traders interested in organic breeding
- Peas are the futureBreeder Agata Leska from the GZPK reports on her many years of work on new pea varieties. Cultivating them is good for the soil and, as a source of protein, peas are an important food crop for humans and animals.
- 25 years of Seed FundFounded in 1996, the Seed Fund collects donations to promote organic breeding. Since then, over 50 types of grain and 100 types of vegetables have been developed.
- Wheat from organic breeding – a beacon projectWheat from organic breeding has proven its worth, especially in the difficult growing year of 2021. Breeder Michael Locher explains why he still works on the further development of the varieties every day.
- Piluweri Nursery Breeding Garden Open DayThe Piluweri nursery is a commercial horticultural company, producer of young plants, breeding company and seed multiplier in one. We have gathered a variety of impressions.
bioverita sees itself as a counterbalance to genetic engineering and the consolidation in the seed industry with fewer and fewer suppliers. The range of organic varieties for organic farming must therefore be increased.
bioverita is always about organic breeding – whether that is vegetables, cereals or coming soon, apples!