Organic right from the start – From breeding to the end product.
What is organic breeding?
Using methods and techniques that are compatible with the principles of organic farming, organic breeding develops varieties that meet the needs of organic farming.
Breeding takes place with respect for the integrity of the plant – there is no intervention below the cell level (genetic engineering). All the work steps, from the first to the last, take place on organic farms.
bioverita is committed to increasing the awareness of organic farming and organically bred varieties.
- in organic farming, organic vegetable and fruit production
- amongst processors of organic products
- amongst distributors of organic products
- amongst consumers of organic products
What is bioverita?
- a platform with the most important organic breeders in Europe
- a platform for varieties from organic cereal, vegetable and fruit breeding
- a platform for organic product processors and traders interested in organic breeding
- The Bioverita Label of QualityThe bioverita association audits organic and bio-dynamic breeders and certifies new types of grain and vegetables that result from their work. Seeds for these varieties are offered through the specialized seed trade: https://www.bingenheimersaatgut.de/en/ https://www.reinsaat.at/index.php?id=1&L=1 http://www.sativa-rheinau.ch/ At the same time bioverita is working on bringing certified vegetable varieties onto the market. We are currently cooperating with seven organic wholesalers in ...
- Theory and knowledge – and lots of surprisesPortrait of breeder Kathrin Buhmann For Kathrin Buhmann, the attraction of her work in breeding lies in the interplay between two opposing poles, the theoretical and scientific pole on the one side and the surprises that nature always has in store on the other. “Based on the theory, you have certain expectations. Once in the field, ...
- Colorful Autumn with bioverita VarietiesThe days are shorter, the temperatures cooler. Autumn has come! The range of vegetables is also undergoing noticeable changes and more and more autumn and winter vegetables are appearing. In the coming months, 18 different bioverita-certified varieties from organic breeding will be available from German organic food retailers through our five marketing partners Bodan, Grell, Naturkost ...
- New Marketing PartnershipThe organic wholesaler Naturkost West, based in Duisburg, supplies organic shops and markets in North Rhine-Westphalia with a full range. For many years the company has supported bioverita and thus the ideas of organic breeding. Since the beginning of August, bioverita varieties have also been part of the vegetables on offer on a regular basis. The ...
bioverita sees itself as a counterbalance to genetic engineering and the consolidation in the seed industry with fewer and fewer suppliers. The range of organic varieties for organic farming must therefore be increased.
bioverita is always about organic breeding – whether that is vegetables, cereals or coming soon, apples!