Organic right from the start – From breeding to the end product.
What is organic breeding?
Using methods and techniques that are compatible with the principles of organic farming, organic breeding develops varieties that meet the needs of organic farming.
Breeding takes place with respect for the integrity of the plant – there is no intervention below the cell level (genetic engineering). All the work steps, from the first to the last, take place on organic farms.
Bioverita is committed to increasing the awareness of organic farming and organically bred varieties.
- in organic farming, organic vegetable and fruit production
- amongst processors of organic products
- amongst distributors of organic products
- amongst consumers of organic products
What is Bioverita?
- a platform with the most important organic breeders in Europe
- a platform for varieties from organic cereal, vegetable and fruit breeding
- a platform for organic product processors and traders interested in organic breeding
- Ellenberg’s Kartoffelvielfalt has been added as a breederFollowing a successful breeder audit and testing by the Label Commission, we are pleased to announce that we are able to recognize Ellenberg’s Kartoffelvielfalt from Barum, Germany, as a bioverita breeder. At the same time, 5 potato varieties from Ellenberg’s Kartoffelvielfalt were approved for bioverita certification: Blaue Anneliese, Heidemarie, Heiderot, Rote Emmalie and Violetta. “Nature is ...
- New projects with Bodan and Terra | BioveritaNew projects for the marketing of vegetable varieties with the bioverita certification in the organic food trade in Germany – Bodan from Überlingen and Terra from Berlin in cooperation with bioverita. After the successful pilot project in autumn 2018 with Rinklin, the natural food wholesaler from Eichstetten, we have found additional marketing partners and built relationships ...
- Press release and final report on Biofach 2019Organic breeding makes the organic sector better and more independent. The special display “Organic right from the start” repeats the success of the previous year. At the Nuremberg BIOFACH from 13 to 16 February 2019, 20 different organic breeding initiatives presented themselves in a special display: This showcased what organic breeding has already achieved but also ...
- Biofach 2019Short film on the special exhibition 2019 at Biofach https://youtu.be/dXZO9q1p3HU
Bioverita sees itself as a counterbalance to genetic engineering and the consolidation in the seed industry with fewer and fewer suppliers. The range of organic varieties for organic farming must therefore be increased.
Bioverita is always about organic breeding – whether that is vegetables, cereals, maize or coming soon, apples!