Organic right from the start – From breeding to the end product.
What is organic breeding?
Using methods and techniques that are compatible with the principles of organic farming, organic breeding develops varieties that meet the needs of organic farming.
Breeding takes place with respect for the integrity of the plant – there is no intervention below the cell level (genetic engineering). All the work steps, from the first to the last, take place on organic farms.
Bioverita is committed to increasing the awareness of organic farming and organically bred varieties.
- in organic farming, organic vegetable and fruit production
- amongst processors of organic products
- amongst distributors of organic products
- amongst consumers of organic products
What is Bioverita?
- a platform with the most important organic breeders in Europe
- a platform for varieties from organic cereal, vegetable and fruit breeding
- a platform for organic product processors and traders interested in organic breeding
- Film worth seeing!Did you know that most of our dishes today are based on no more than nine plant and five animal species? One of the many reasons why we need comprehensive support for organic breeding. A new film from FIBL and the European project Engagement.Biobreeding clearly shows the correlations: https://youtu.be/_o31AZM-mes
- Strategies to communicate the benefits of organic breedingThere are many good reasons for organic breeding! But the correlations are complex and often difficult to grasp for end users. How do you best master the challenge of bringing the topic to the general public? This is what the FIBL online workshop will be about on February 18, 2021 as part of the digital ...
- The Bioverita Label of QualityThe bioverita association audits organic and bio-dynamic breeders and certifies new types of grain and vegetables that result from their work. Seeds for these varieties are offered through the specialized seed trade: https://www.bingenheimersaatgut.de/en/ https://www.reinsaat.at/index.php?id=1&L=1 http://www.sativa-rheinau.ch/ At the same time bioverita is working on bringing certified vegetable varieties onto the market. We are currently cooperating with five organic wholesalers in ...
- Theory and knowledge – and lots of surprisesPortrait of breeder Kathrin Buhmann For Kathrin Buhmann, the attraction of her work in breeding lies in the interplay between two opposing poles, the theoretical and scientific pole on the one side and the surprises that nature always has in store on the other. “Based on the theory, you have certain expectations. Once in the field, ...
Bioverita sees itself as a counterbalance to genetic engineering and the consolidation in the seed industry with fewer and fewer suppliers. The range of organic varieties for organic farming must therefore be increased.
Bioverita is always about organic breeding – whether that is vegetables, cereals, maize or coming soon, apples!