Environment / Starting point
Hybrid crops and crops that have been modified using genetic engineering methods dominate crop cultivation worldwide. This serves the uniformity of harvest and the high yield expectations of the growers. Typically, however, the commercially available varieties have little adaptability to locations and environmental conditions, which must therefore be supported with chemical fertilizers and crop protection agents. As a result, growers have become increasingly dependent on multinational suppliers in the past few decades, who not only offer seeds but also fertilizers and pesticides. Politicians have been promoting this system so far – with massive negative consequences for farmers as well as for the environment and society.
Bioverita – an alternative
Varieties from organic breeding are the basis for an alternative. Bioverita recognizes and certifies new, robust and productive crop varieties that are optimally adapted to the conditions of organic farming. Bioverita wants to increase the use of these varieties and make them better known among growers and marketers. This way farmers get the chance to become more involved in their original role once more. Bioverita has the non-profit-making purpose of promoting organic / ecological and biodynamic plant breeding (organic breeding) as a cultural task within the framework of a long-term, cross-association, organic / ecological agriculture and food industry (Article 2 of the
Bioverita is the international organization for the promotion and quality assurance of organic breeding that is open to all organic breeders.
- From breeding to the end product. We make varieties from organic breeding visible along the value chain.
- Visibility is achieved through labeling of varieties or products from organic breeding.
1.1. Bioverita would like for…
- …the knowledge about organic breeding to increase.
- …transparency in the production of organic food to develop, thus creating a special trust in food of varieties from organic breeding.
- …the use of varieties from organic breeding to increase and account for a high
proportion of total consumption.
- …a high level of knowledge about organic breeding to exists along the entire value
- …those involved in the value chain to implement this knowledge.
- … the majority of organic products to be made from varieties from certified organic
breeding. (Cultivation and processing)
- …consumers to be able to see that the products come from organically bred
varieties and therefore offer added value.
1.2. Bioverita’s position in the organic sector
All organic plant breeders 1) are members of bioverita. All varieties from these plant breeders are registered with bioverita and are certified by bioverita.
All seed producers that propagate bioverita varieties are active members of
bioverita and certify bioverita varieties.
All organic farmers and horticultural companies know bioverita, know what bioverita
stands for and use bioverita varieties.
The relevant processors / manufacturers want to process bioverita varieties and
label the end products accordingly.
All organic wholesalers and retailers know bioverita, know what bioverita stands
for, and want to have the products of the corresponding manufacturers certified by
bioverita in their range.
All consumers know bioverita, know what bioverita stands for and want to buy these
Bioverita wants good framework conditions for organic breeding (e.g. through use
and labeling requirements) and is committed to this. To achieve the objectives,
bioverita needs powerful organization.
2.1. Bioverita provides information along the value chain and…
- …educates about organic breeding, collects knowledge and anchors this in the
entire value chain.
- …awards the bioverita label to breeders and their varieties if the high quality
standards are met.
- …informs about certified companies and their varieties.
- …promotes the use of varieties from organic breeding and thus increases their
- …works with organic associations such as Bio Suisse, Demeter and Bioland,
Naturland and others to increase the use of organic varieties.
2.2. Bioverita is a platform for organic breeding, and…
- …provides breeders with information about what’s going on in the market.
- …conveys information from breeders to the value chain.
- …enables joint marketing for organic breeding and the breeders’ varieties
2.3. Bioverita enables and promotes market partnerships. Within these
- …we network and support the members of the value chain.
- …we handle the dissemination of information about organic breeding.
- …we are constantly in touch with the contact persons to ensure positive reporting
and support the market partners in their communication.
2.4. Bioverita sensitizes the public and ensures the dissemination of information
about organic breeding by…
- …enabling organic breeders to be present at events and trade fairs.
- …providing media distributors with key information.
- …informing about organic breeding through various media channels.
…creating trust through transparency.
2.5. Bioverita obtains the necessary financial means for its work through…
- …annual membership fees.
- …support contributions from members and other stakeholders.
- …contributions from companies, associations, foundations and other
bioverita: Organic right from the start – From breeding to the end product!1) Organic plant breeders must go through an approval process at bioverita, which ensures that they meet the
requirements set by bioverita.