Organic right from the start – From breeding to the end product.
What is organic breeding?
Using methods and techniques that are compatible with the principles of organic farming, organic breeding develops varieties that meet the needs of organic farming.
Breeding takes place with respect for the integrity of the plant – there is no intervention below the cell level (genetic engineering). All the work steps, from the first to the last, take place on organic farms.
Bioverita is committed to increasing the awareness of organic farming and organically bred varieties.
- in organic farming, organic vegetable and fruit production
- amongst processors of organic products
- amongst distributors of organic products
- amongst consumers of organic products
What is Bioverita?
- a platform with the most important organic breeders in Europe
- a platform for varieties from organic cereal, vegetable and fruit breeding
- a platform for organic product processors and traders interested in organic breeding
- fair report: Biofach 2020 For the third time, Bioverita took the topic of organic seed breeding to BIOFACH trade visitors. Many visitors took advantage of the opportunity to talk to breeders and market partners directly about the growing range of special varieties for org
- INFORMATION BIOFACH 2020 Organic breeding makes the organic sector better and more independent The Organic Breeding Hub shows the current state and the central importance of organic breeding. At the Nuremberg BIOFACH from 12 to 15 February 2020, 12 different organic breeding initiatives will present themselves at the Organic Breeding Hub: It shows what organic breeding has already achieved but also where ...
- Visit to Saat:gut e.V. Annual Meeting 2019 The annual meeting of the Bioverita association took place this year on June 27, 2019 at the organic breeder Heinz-Peter Christiansen from Saat:gut e.V. The breeder audit was also carried out at the same time by the Bioverita Label Commission on June 28th. The breeding site is at Christiansen’s Bioland farm in Esperstoftfeld ...
- Ellenberg’s Kartoffelvielfalt has been added as a breeder Following a successful breeder audit and testing by the Label Commission, we are pleased to announce that we are able to recognize Ellenberg’s Kartoffelvielfalt from Barum, Germany, as a bioverita breeder. At the same time, 5 potato varieties from Ellenberg’s Kartoffelvielfalt were approved for bioverita certification. The origins of Karsten Ellenberg’s work as a potato grower ...
Bioverita sees itself as a counterbalance to genetic engineering and the consolidation in the seed industry with fewer and fewer suppliers. The range of organic varieties for organic farming must therefore be increased.
Bioverita is always about organic breeding – whether that is vegetables, cereals, maize or coming soon, apples!